View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
Congratulations Daryl, that looks awesome! Have you found it tough dealing with mandolin fingerings on a longer scale? I'm still grappling with that with my OM (which has a 22" scale length, I think). I'm using the pinky more than ever, and lots more open notes than I'd normally play on my mandolin.
Jim
that's a primary reason I wanted 20". Been looking for a while and this one popped up. Looks, build, price, tone, were all exactly what I was looking for.

It is definitely different than just my standard mandolin, I'm slowly working some things out.
I'm getting the mindset to just place it in the category of a different instrument than my mandolin and go with that. The 20" is still a stretch on some things and some tunes are requiring a total different finger or way to play. My biggest thought is, when I get back to my mandolin, am I going to be all messed up in how I play certain tunes??(lol)
I'm not one of those people who adapts in a minute to any change and can take off. I'm very much a "routine" type individual and have hard enough time playing anything because I have no natural musical skills-none.......

time will tell. but I do love the tone and feel of this thing a lot.

d