View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
This is really hopeful and great news. Do you have links to the details or science for the info about surfaces and aerosols? I don’t have Facebook and I’d love to dig into the details. Thanks!
I could look up the paper. But the take is that aerosol transmission means that it floats in the air, whereas droplet transmission means that it is coughed, sneezed and generally wet. COVD is droplet transmission, not aerosol, ie, the cone of the sneeze, about 6 feet is much riskier then catching it while breathing in air indoors. So unlike Hunta virus, which can be aerosolized while cleaning a basement with infected mice, this one needs wet stuff to encase in.

To summarized the German work, it was done in Italy, obtaining swabs from all manner of surfaces from door handles in emergency rooms, to floors, and so forth. He found viable particles on all of these foments (foment is the thing that a virus might cling to). However, he was unable to get them to grow in the lab. It is now fairly well established that this is the case, the virus is extremely frail. This does not mean we go play beach blanket bongos. But that simply being in a house where people are infected and touching objects, if they are not freshly sneezed on...is probably fine. You can let your friends use your bathroom when they visit, as Jenn says.