View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 07:55 AM

I should preface my posts by stating that I have taught immunology at a university level and done research in that field, alongside teaching in the medical sciences for over 30 years and still work in that capacity.

Some encouraging data this week from Jennifer Kastead, MD. MSc. M.Sc., probably one of the best people on social media who breaks down the science, usually with a funny bone in hand.

It appears that both T helper and T killer cells, the immune cells that do most of the viral killing (even more then B cell antibodies) show strong ability to not only destroy the virus but the immunity seems to be long term. This suggests that one cannot get the virus a second time, at least easily and that our prior exposure to COVD-type epitopes, (the part of the virus that the immune system 'sees') confers some immunity. This may account for the high recovery rate and low symptom profile in many of those who test positive. So we have fought corona virus types before and those battles have prepared many for dealing with this one.

There was more work by the German scientist who was unable to culture COVD from foments (such as surfaces, cereal boxes, door handles etc..) and that the amount of virus needed to infect, what the call the 'dose' was not enough in these cases. This goes along with other data differentiating aerosolized virus vs viral droplets. So when you are out jogging and someone in front of you is running, the amount of contamination is minimal...so getting it from anyone who is further than 6 feet away is very difficult.

Finally, masking while out is about the best strategy right now, as people get lockdown burnout..and start congregating. I do hope that people do not congregate now....