View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm not sure why but it definitely is. I'm a fingerstyle player with no nails so my playing is generally muted anyway. I don't know if it's the lighter body making it more resonant or the slightly different body cavity design or even the hole location or positioning but it definitely seems louder. Note that in both cases I was wearing the guitar strapped to my body standing and not sitting down. At some point I'll likely do a video review so I'll see if I can replicate it on that but the difference is certainly not huge.
I guess when I really notice the volume of the X20 is strumming and singing. I rarely use the X20 for finger style - I'm not sure why but the size, scale, and sound of the X7 all seem more suited to finger-picking than the X20. The X20 really excels (to me) for strumming and flat picking. Which is not to say the X7 isn't also great for those uses - I could easily get by with this new X7 as an only acoustic guitar if I needed to. But that's where the X20 rings out differently and seems considerably louder to my ear. And when I do my feeble version of finger-picking, I almost always use a thumb pick and finger picks so either guitar is gonna sound different than using bare fingers.

In any case, it doesn't matter - I was just curious about your observation because it was so different from mine for similar guitars. Although I have two very different scale lengths on mine too, while yours are both 24.6", no? So maybe the scale has something to do with the volume?

-Ray