View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
After Sherpa wrote:

John Arnold replied:

Exactly. As John pointed out, the slant of the bridge saddle is what makes an acoustic guitar play more or less in tune with itself, and if you're converting a right-handed guitar for left-handed playing, you'll get the best results if you have the saddle slot filled in and recut for left-handed intonation. This is obviously more involved than dialing in an adjustable bridge saddle on an electric guitar, but it's really worth doing.

Something you should be aware of, Sherpa, is that for some unknown reason, there's something deeply disturbing about playing guitar left-handed that rattles a surprisingly high percentage of right-handed players and even some lefties who've learned to play right-handed. So prepare yourself for a flurry of posts about how "there's no such thing as a left-handed piano" and other attempts to shame you into playing the guitar "correctly." By which they mean right-handed.

Why on earth this should matter to any of them, I haven't a clue. But it's evidently a "hot button" issue, because anytime the subject arises on this forum, there will inevitably be lots of posts yammering about how much "better" it is to play right-handed, including how much easier it is to find right-handed guitars than left-handed instruments.

Which would be laughable if the people writing those posts weren't so deadly earnest about it. Again, why it matters to them, I have no idea. But it does.

My own opinion is that players should do whatever makes their playing easier, and not feel obligated to listen to and follow unsolicited opinions from strangers on the Internet.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks for the valuable advise from all of you. I've been playing upside down for over 50 years and am not about to change now. I guess I need to look for a model with a straight saddle and go from there, otherwise it looks like a custom made guitar.