View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 AM

I looked in my little black book and there are numerous unfinished pieces I'm working on, so as is my way I've decided to start something totally new for this challenge! I've been focused on finger-picking and slide for a while now and the thread on flatpickers has reminded me of how much fun a flatpick can be, so I've decided to keep things simple...

My Goal: To learn the Beginners / Intermediate / Advanced versions of Steve Kaufman's arrangement of Ragtime Annie; to be able to perform this at a speed (to be determined) and to post a finished version up for you good folks here.

Sub-goal - to improve right hand technique and co-ordination between left and right hands. When I last posted a flat-picking piece much of the discussion centred around my right hand being too stiff, and playing from the fingers rather than the wrist, so I will try and improve in this area whilst working on this goal.

I'll aim to do an hour a day minimum on this. I've done 45 mins so far, but it's early so they've been done on an unplugged Tele rather than an acoustic so as not to wake anyone.

Progress - basic chord sequence memorised and A section of the beginner's chorus memorised and playable at moderate speed.

I know from experience with Steve's material that I'll need to address the intermediate and advanced stuff a bar at a time, sometimes over a couple of days, so I need to push on with the beginner's chorus to get some skin in the game

Kind regards
Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning