View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Default The Last Time I Saw Her Face by Gordon Lightfoot (cover)

This is my cover of Gordon Lightfoot's incredibly beautiful, poetic and sad song about a heartbreak of the past. It's hard to get through life without a heartbreak or two, and so that makes this song a little tough to sing. Gordon Lightfoot has also commented that this song can be tough for him to sing. One of my YouTube subscribers asked me to consider recording this song.

I wondered if this song was written at about the time of his divorce but it was written earlier. He commented on his songbook CD collection,

"It's about the breakup of a marriage. In a way, you're predicting what's going to take place, and then it happens. In some sense you play the scene out in your mind, and after the fact, it hits you how close you were to the mark. It makes it a little tough to perform sometimes, but not tough enough to keep a great song down. In a way, it covers the same ground as "If You Could Read My Mind" did years later."

The guitar is my 1995 Olson SJ, cedar over EIR, standard tuning. The strings are a little old (Martin SP light, 80/20) but to me, this song called for a fairly mellow sound, and I really liked how this Olson sounded.

Thanks so much for listening!

- Glenn