View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

As a tone wood Redwood is a mixed bag. More than most woods Redwood varies from amazing to, well, crap. The opportunities to source really great Redwood are few so I don't pass it up when I can get the good stuff.
A couple months ago I was able to buy sets of legendary Carter woods and you'll see these on guitars that are scheduled on my upcoming build list.

Recently, I was able to buy some tunnel Redwood. This is from Southern Pacific Railroad's Siskiyou Summit Tunnel #14. You've likely heard of Tunnel #13 which was part of the same tunnels project that was built in the 1880’s using virgin Redwood timbers harvested in Southwestern Oregon. There are some fun stories that go along with this wood but, let me speak to a few of the things that make some of these timbers such great wood;

First, is simply that it is over 120 years old. It's fully matured tone wood and it sounds it but, it was great wood to begin with. The color and evenness of the straight grain is fabulous on this old growth wood;

The age also helped enhance the wonderful sheen even on the raw wood;

These tops were expertly cut and well quartered;

Thirty grain lines per inch is a good count. These tops come in over at seventy! This contributes to exceptional long grain stiffness;

Even with all of that stronger dark grain these tops are still lighter than an average Sitka top. Medullary grain lines or silking is a good sign of a well quartered top and their presents is an indicator for good cross grain stiffness;

I am making a few of these new sets available for custom orders so keep them in mind!

Thanks!

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright