View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 10:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Good morning, Howard - a little good news to brighten your (and your friend's) day:

Although it's well-known that Gibson produced Epiphone instruments with original New York parts as late as the end of 1963, the instrument in the photo is most emphatically not one of them; in fact, not only was it not made by Gibson, but it happens to be the sole documented sunburst example of the Epi Emperor Concert (#58825 dating to 1949) and possibly the only one released to the general public (Johnny Smith's was custom-built to order, and the blonde example above was a gift to an Epiphone employee from the Stathopoulo family) - in a word, your bud is in possession of one of the all-time Holy Grail guitars for any archtop collector...

If you have personal access to this unique instrument, I think most (if not all) of us would be interested in an OGD (old guitar day) hands-on evaluation/play test along with some additional photos; absent that, if you coud arrange for the owner to do the same for (with his permission) reposting here on the AGF Archtop subforum, I believe it would be greatly appreciated by all...

Let us know how it goes...
Hi Steve,
I was clumsy in my post. He has a monstrous Gibson Archtop collection, but I assumed he’d be interested in the guitar you posted.

He owns that Sunburst Epiphone.

I can try to see if he’ll do a recording with it.

I’ll try to get him involved here. If you’re on Facebook his name is Mike Thompson, and he may live in Japan....

Howard