View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM

I started going to jazz concerts in high school with my very knowledgeable friends in 1971. I've seen a lot of greats. I still haven't a clue. It's made for live experience because it's daring music where often each musician is put on the spot to do something inventive without a mistake. It comes from a time where horns were big and guitars were small. I think the most enjoyable and artistic jazz show i attended (beside the Newport Jazz festival which was a real smorgasbord of jazz offerings) was Sun Ra live at the Public Theater in NYC. They really took you somewhere worth going and it wasn't just a duel of saxophonists or coronet and trombone players. My fave jazz musican was dead before i was born. I thought Art Tatum was like Davinci in terms of changing how it was done into something no one thought you could do. But a lot of Jazz guys broke ground like that. I just find the piano so much more pleasing than sax jazz. Just sharing. I have no insights on how to break into jazz guitar. I have jammed with jazz improvisationists as a bass player and faked it enough to get some aplause. But that's about it.