View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I don't see any problem with learning new chords as you go...at least until you're comfortable branching out...learning a thousand shapes in a vaccuum without context isn't going to get you too far anyway.

But I still think the end goal, somewhere down the line, for a serious player should be to learn how to build chords from the major scale/formulas. Once you can do that, you can literally say that you know how to play EVERY chord...and every place that chord "lives" on the neck!
I think your right mr. beaumont, I've got most of the "cowboy chords" down fairly well including half a dozen of the maj7's, at least well enough to accompany singing and changing chords without losing a beat and not have any buzzes or dead strings. (most of the time anyway!)

As you say, I'm delving into the construction of chords to give me a better understanding how they are made.

I heard the mention of barre chords earlier in the thread so, I tried it out last night and while the fingering is not too difficult, I find getting all the strings to ring clear is something else yet, so, I'll put the barre chords priority in my practice.

Thanks all!