View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Red: Do it!

If you're playing solo acoustic, there's no reason to use a pick-up. I'm a fanatic about the reproduction of wooden tone, as you can probably tell from the vid. I'm the worst tone-chaser I know. That Eastman was played into a $100 Shure SM-58. There's not a p/u on the planet that sounds as good as that cheap microphone, and I own three of the best -- Trance Audio, Baggs & Pickup the World.

The only reason to use a p/u, in my view, is when playing in an ensemble where feedback becomes a problem, or when playing with drums and electric bass and guitar. Or if the room is really funky and hard to get a decent EQ.

Case in point, we saw Riders in the Sky two nights ago and they all played directly into mics, even Ranger Doug with his Gibson archtop. Nary a pickup in sight. And most of the straight acoustic groups still go directly into a mic at the Opry, as far as I know.

Feel free to drop me a PM on this topic and we'll compare notes. I just LOVE the sound of a live mic on a wooden instrument.

BTW, in case you missed it earlier, that Eastman model I'm playing is their J-45 clone -- adi over hog. I bought that thing used for $850 and now play it far more than my HD-28. Main reason? The Martin is a heckuva strummer, but the Eastman has a lot more snap, which makes it ideal for fingerstyle. Since I do both styles when playing out, it means I can use one guitar instead of two.

Take Care,
Scott
Good stuff man! I had already been leaning towards live mic'ing lately, but now I'm definitely gonna do it. I do play in a trio with another acoustic and an acoustic bass. But I think I can make it work. I too have some wonderful Baggs and Fishman pickups in my acoustics. But yeah, as good as they are, they're still "electric" sounding to a degree.