Thread: Calton Cases
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Chris,

I really don't know how you come to this conclusion. Opinions and preferences are fine, but I don't think your facts are quite right. What Hoffee cases did you own? I have two, and they balance well (virtually identically to Calton cases), have lots of storage space (easily two to three times what a Hiscox has and only less than a Calton if you expect to use the space around the headstock for storage.) The upside is that the Hoffee is better padded (Hoffee actually pads against whiplash headstock breakage), and it is lighter.

Calton makes a great case, but if I were selecting a new flight case, I'd take a Hoffee any day of the week. If I stumbled onto a used Calton that fit my needs at a fair price, I'd be very happy with one. Hiscox is not really a flight case (at least the Pro-II isn't; maybe the Artist series cases could be considered flight cases, but that puts you into the used Canadian Calton price range.)
I take your point about headstock protection but versus a Calton there is no space for a strap or anything much other than a capo and a few picks. My Hoffee is relatively early and I had the handle moved to better balance it. In its favour, the Hoffee is lighter than my Caltons.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

Last edited by Yrksman; 01-29-2019 at 09:12 AM.