View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 12:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Some good bevelling on show here!

For those interested, I use a securely mounted Kress 1050 router spinning a small grinding wheel to rough-cut my bevels - I use quite a low spindle speed to minimise heat build-up so the extra torque of the 1kW router really helps to get an even cut in one or two passes (dependent on the thickness of the pick). Warning - as has been mentioned elsewhere re: the Dremel, exercise caution - this needs a lot of practice - it's easy to completely ruin a pick in a fraction of a second!

I then use one of my own Wolfram Precision : Crystal Pro glass files to fine-shape the bevel. The rigid, pressure-sensitive surface gives much more control of the flat bevel contour than sandpaper - I do a lot of detail work to the picking tip as well as shaping it.

I then use four grits of sandpaper to achieve a smoother transition from the face of the pick into the bevel - it's easier to achieve this with the 'fuzziness' of sandpaper than with the precision of the file.

I then buff through three polishing compounds and wheels mounted on a modified bench grinder.

It's a lot of work, but I find each step is necessary to achieve what I'm chasing as the perfect pick.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.