View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I've currently own a guitar with a non-adjustable neck reinforcement made by the man himself (Howard Klepper), who was also kind enough to supply the purflings for this project (thanks again!). I also owned for a while a Montuoro with a non-adjustable neck reinforcement.

If done right, these things really don't move. My guitars with adjustable neck reinforcement do occasionally require a tweak here and there, but the non-adjustable guitars seem perfectly stable. I know those who build in this style have a pretty high level of confidence the necks will be stable, and I would argue (and I think Howard would agree) that most people would be perfectly happy within pretty narrow band of relief settings.

John has built several guitars with non-adjustable rods, and they've all been very stable. By the way, if absolutely necessary, they can be adjusted very precisely via Plek so it's not like you are totally out of luck if something comes up. I had this discussion with Lewis Santer, and he explained how a Plek can mill the frets with the neck under tension to give you precisely the relief that you desire.