Thread: carbon fiber?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 11:28 AM

I have a Rainsong OM1000 and I like it, but I can’t say I love it. I have it for one reason really, as a camping, rafting and traveling guitar. I can leave it in the truck in any weather conditions be it freezing or roasting and not think twice. This is NOT an over rated trait. It’s not very loud, a bit thin in the bass/low end and lacks color in its tone. It sounds very clean and a bit sterile and I find it harder to play in a more nuanced fashion. I took out the pezo and replaced the saddle with bone and that added a bit more texture to the sound. Have settled on Martin retro monel (med) and that seems to bring out a bit more of an organic woody sound and tone down some of the glassy treble… at least after they brake in for a couple weeks. It plays very well even if I’m not a fan of the narrow neck (shallow C). It suites its purpose well and as I joke with my partner “sounds fine”… But I’m comparing it to a Huss and Dalton TOM-M and a Lowden O-32 I play the majority of the time. If I play the Rainsong for an extended period I think it sounds pretty nice and satisfying and….”sounds fine”. Then I pick up my H&D and remember… oh, right, this is in a totally different league. I got mine for $1000 and it’s great for what I need it for, but if I was shopping for a lovely responsive, organic and nuanced sounding guitar I would have hung it back up after a couple of minutes play. I would like to try a McPherson Sable and maybe that would grab me, but it would take a big change in sound for me to want to pay $3000 for one. If I was stolen I would definitely seek out another CF guitar right away. The ability to just not worry about it while camping in the desert, skiing or on a river trip is worth a LOT.. I would never take any of my other guitars with me other wise.