View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Acoustic guitar players tend to be conservative in what their guitars should look and sound like. Those on this sub-forum may be the exception. I started playing guitar in the 60s (along with many from my generation)... when the Holy Grail for an acoustic guitar was a Martin, and pretty much all the guitar makers tried to "make a Martin." That tradition has been hard to escape.

For the record, I think McPherson makes great guitars... but their Sable is pretty much a "carbon copy" (pun intended) of their lovely wood guitars. Even today, the RainSong offerings look like traditional acoustic guitars. Only Emerald has moved from those strong traditions to making guitars that show forward thinking, designed for the player rather than what a player thinks the audience wants to see. Guitar makers have to build what people will buy. While many of us here see the advantages of carbon fiber, it is still a niche market.

In the meantime, electric players have enjoyed more innovation, even though most makers offer their version of a Les Paul and a Strat... and electronics (pickups, pedals) have evolved faster than in the acoustic world. I see that starting to change with Emerald offering various pickup options (a humbucker pickup on the soundboard of an X10?? Heresy!)... their Virtuo line seems to have been well-accepted... putting the Hyvibe in their lineup... still, a niche, though.

This could be a pivotal time for our friend Simon to design something unique, electronics included.

I guess I don't follow the norm - I like wood guitars but have never been a "tone chaser." I also like carbon fiber guitars for what they bring, in sound, design, and durability. My choice in electric guitars is all about the pickups and the feel. For any guitar, I look for...

* It should sound good. (there isn't any "one tone" that I chase - I like variety)
* It should play well. (I'm willing to do a set up as needed)
* It should look good. (doesn't have to look like "art," but it should please the eyes)
* It should be comfortable. (easy to hold and play, not too heavy, no hard edges where it meets my body/arm)

Not a requirement, but I also appreciate it if the guitar has something unique about it... something that makes it stand out from other offerings.

An acoustic (for me) should have an intimate feel to it, sound "appropriately rich and full" to my ears, and I appreciate onboard electronics - I'm not obsessive about "should sound like the guitar only louder" when plugged in... just like an electric guitar, I can use "stuff" to alter the tone, if desired. I don't play out much these days, but the only time anyone has commented about the sound is to say, "Sounds good," when I play songs they know. (OK, once in a great while, another guitar player will ask something like: "Are you using some chorus on your guitar?")

When I take a guitar off the wall in my music room, it is as much about comfort as tone, because I've already chosen guitars I like.

It's a good time to be a guitar player - lots of good options. I have no experience with guitar making, but I would think it takes a bold individual with a plan and desire, and grit to find a place in the market. There is a saying in the boat building business: The way to make a small fortune in boat building is to start with a large fortune.

Good luck, Simon.