View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sid View Post
I was kind of where you are about 5 years ago(I only owned steels then, even though I've been playing a long while).For me, if I had to do it again I'd only consider Yamaha or Cordoba-almost any model. I've found out that the individual guitar rather than the model is the yardstick;I've grown into guitars I wouldn't have suspected simply because they were not instant.Sometimes you have to break through and let your hands and ears adapt if they can.But things like great design, terrible workmanship/materials/too many wolf notes have made me wonder-which element is it that screws up what looks like a great idea(?) Many of the other big names I haven't mentioned have been very disappointing-I'd prefer not to name names.
Again, thanks for the input. I haven't come across a Yamaha in my travels but have tried out a couple of Cordoba's. The brand that I'm gravitating toward now is the Kenny Hill New Age line of guitars. I'm working with FMI-New England and have tried out some recently. I really liked the Estudio 640mm (cedar top) although I still find the nut width a bit daunting, I think it's 51mm. He also had a model that is regrettably out of my price range but the best I've tried, a Kenny Hill Player Fingerstyle, solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, 640mm scale, 48mm nut width. There is an Estudio version of that guitar that is in my price range, an Estudio Fingerstyle that he has ordered from Kenny Hill for me to try, solid spruce top, laminated rosewood back and sides, 650mm scale (they don't offer anything shorter in this more budget model), 48mm nut width.

So I will meet with the fellow from FMI-NE once he gets that model in from California, compare the Estudio Fingerstyle with the Estudio 640mm, and hopefully go home with one of those two. I'm fine with laminated back an sides, my ear is not at all trained for nylon string, but in trying out some guitars, I had a hard time hearing differences between all solid wood vs solid top/laminated back and sides. For me as a nylon string novice, it's mostly about playability. If I get something more traditional, flat fretboard, wide nut width, chunky neck, and I struggle to play it, it'll just collect dust.

Last edited by shekie; 09-08-2018 at 05:03 AM.