View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 05:37 PM

Sorry Redir - just seeing this. Martin used this Austrian Stauffer neck on some instruments before the civil war - he was taught by Stauffer himself. These guitars were small with a more figure-8 shape. Then Martin did a tribute in 1996 and again in 2006 (If I recall) that used their 00 12-fret body - this is what I copied. I got a tracing of Norman Blake's 1934 00 complete with bracing schedule including scallops, and I decided to use it even though the top was not Red Spruce, but Redwood. I will never build enough instruments to get meaningful information on any kind of testing as all my instruments are different. I used Red Spruce for the top bracing. The bridge is Resin-Ivory purchased from David Warther in Ohio - he is an Ivory carver who uses this at times and thinks it is the best Ivory substitute. The back and sides are maple. It is now 2 weeks old and it has much more bass than I was expecting from this small guitar, the balance is quite good, and the sound is sharp. Who knows what it will sound like in a year - but I like it so far.