View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
I've never thought about this stringjunky2 (is there a stringjunky1?) but it's an interesting concept that can be applied to the nut also I suppose.

What I HAVE thought about is UNEQUAL string spacing for two reasons. I think the distance between strings 5-6 (low E & A) should be greater than the spacing between strings 1-2 (high E and B). Why? Because on strings 1-2 my fingers aren't stretching to fret them, and as a result they are perpendicular to the fretboard (optimum). On strings 5-6 I have to reach to get there, with less than a 90deg angle to the fretboard, and thus my finger is closer to the adjacent strings (buzz!).

Of course another (even better) reason to do this is that strings 5-6 vibrate with greater amplitude than 1-2, so these strings get closer to your fretted finger. Does anyone ever have finger buzz off of strings 1 or 2? (I can't imagine it).

If you have large hands you might not have a problem with reason #1, but everyone experiences reason #2.

I think I'm getting unintelligible, which is a good reason to go to bed now (reason #3).
Yes, if you have equal spacing you take some space off the thin strings and give it to the fatter ones where it can get a bit tight at the saddle end.

Concerning stringjunky1, something happened to my access to it, so I made S2.