View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Guitargeak,
I plan on playing the Rares for a few days and then throw on the Sunbeams 12's PB's when they arrive. My guess is that I'll settle on one of those (for now anyway). Let me know how the Ernie Ball PB's work out. CHEERS!
Ok, I tried the Ernie Ball PB’s in med/light......just mediocre. In a blind test I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference between them and D’Addario or JP strings.
Then I went with some JP PB’s in custom light (12-55) that I had laying around. Same thing.....they were so so, and felt like the string tension was more than the Ernies.
I then tried some D’Addario NB in light gauge......they were actually ok after a few days. Good volume and good bass, but the overtones that I like out of this Spruce/RW combo were subdued. There was more of a fundamental tone from the guitar, and I can see why the Mahogany crowd seems to like these strings.
(But, I do have some custom lights that I still want to try.)

Right now I’m trying out some Ernie 80/20’s in med/light and I might have struck gold.
Even though the strings gauges are similar (or same) as the others, the Ernies just seem to have a lower string tension that makes fretting noticeably easier.

I also, want to try some DR Sunbeam 12’s, but barring any big surprises, I’ll be staying with the 80/20 Ernies on the Larry and the Ernie AB’s on the Taylor 12 Fret.
Regards.
-Takamine EAN40c-12