View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 PM

I have been looking at used acoustic guitars for 15 years. Here are my observations about how various conditions affect used guitar prices (and I am going to answer the OP's question from the point of view of a seller listing a mint guitar versus the same guitar with cosmetic flaws):

1. Finish dings, finish checking, or scratches that are only in the finish do not significantly affect the value of an instrument, generally.

2. Cosmetic flaws that affect the wood impacts value much more, especially if the damage is not a result of playing the guitar in a normal fashion (i.e. dropping the guitar, banging the guitar against furniture). Some normal wear and tear on the wood from specific styles of play sometimes adds a bit of character and does not detract from the value.

3. Imperfections to the neck are perceived to be more significant than headstock or body, especially the back of the neck. I imagine it's because of the thought that you will feel that imperfection constantly during playing and it will negatively affect your playing.

4. The edges/binding of guitars impact value less than imperfections on the soundboard, side, and back of the guitar.

5. String scratches on the headstock or bridge area do not really affect the value or are rarely mentioned as a significant cosmetic defect.

In general, the things that I care about the most when I evaluate a guitar that I cannot physically touch or hear:
1. Humidity maintenance (warping, cracks)
2. Action/playability/neck angle
3. Repair history
4. Modifications (pickups, strap buttons, etc.)
5. Condition that the guitar has been in (smell, pet hair, etc.)

Over the years, I value a guitar's playability more than its cosmetic condition as long as the wood itself is not affected. Finish checking, dings, scratches do not matter to me.

Last edited by CitizenAudio; 10-18-2019 at 09:40 PM.