View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Impact of cosmetic flaws on guitar value

Friends, forgive me if this topic has been beat to death elsewhere, or does not merit a beating at all for some of you. But I am new to the vast options for guitars that are available at one's finger tips. It is quite extraordinary and, frankly, overwhelming for someone new to this world. I am learning a great here and on Reverb exploring different brands, models, wood combinations, body shapes and all the other variations that are available to a person with a wallet. Then I head over to YouTube, a mesmerizing musical black hole. It has been a steep, but very enjoyable learning curve.
I have become intrigued by the grading system on Reverb, and apparently adopted universally as well. Recognizing that there is no object measure - that one person's "mint" is another's whatever - I have come to wonder what impact "impacts" have on the value of used guitars.
I have the sense that with true vintage instruments, those decades old, cosmetic imperfections may be respected as rings of a tree, or even badges of courage, commanding reverence. But with more recent guitars, those with thousands of siblings, they are not so well tolerated.
I also recognize that we all have different tolerances for such things. I am counting on someone telling me that they do not give a hoot what the box looks like if it sings like the Seraphim. While others may not give a second glance to a splendid instrument which has suffered the ravages of time, incaution or even disrespect.
I do not yet know where I come down on this spectrum. I suspect my tolerance for cosmetic flaws would depend on how much I am spending - the more, the less forgiving. Or how unique the instrument is, or if it just sings so sweetly to me. If there are 285 Martin D-28's, I would likely pass over the "very goods" for an "excellent or "mint," unless the price is right. There's coin in them dings and divots, especially if I planned to flip it.
I suspect many of you, particularly those with large guitar quivers have your own standards of what you will tolerate, and how you would value a guitar in light of its cosmetics. I'd be interested to know.
David