View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Like many, I'm older. Now 68 as well. I started developing arthritis in my hands at 60. Fortunately it hasn't progressed too much. But it became difficult to close my hands without warming them up, literally and figuratively. I have always seemed to prefer soft V necks and just put up with my Taylors' C necks because I like the guitars.

But unrelated to guitar necks... 13 months ago I was physically a wreck. 5'9" at 227 pounds. Blood sugar at 121. A1C at 5.6. Cholesterol up there in spite of taking Crestor for years. My daughter somehow got me started on this "Keto" diet and also suggested "intermittent fasting". I had tried the Keto thing earlier last year and it was a bust, but I didn't take it seriously. I was in such bad physical shape at the end of 2018 that there were only two ways I could go.

So I started the Keto thing with intermittent fasting in earnest. I started on December 29, 2018 and by June 1st I had lost 50 pounds! My blood sugar went down to 106, A1C to 5.3 my cholesterol dropped 40 points, blood pressure 105/60. I went from almost size 40 pants to 33. But the most curious thing... MY ARTHRITIS SYMPTOMS SUBSIDED BY AT LEAST 50%! My hands are still a bit stiffer than when I was young, but I can now easily make a fist with both my hands. I can play guitar longer. I no longer take anti-inflammatory drugs on a regular basis. WHAT I DISCOVERED IS THAT SUGARS CAUSE INFLAMMATION!

I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. I'm just sharing what I experienced for those who may be suffering and want to try something different other than drugs and medical treatments. No clubs, subscriptions... no nothing.. All it takes is some personal commitment and a little knowledge.
Really good points on diet and overall impact on what it can do to the body in terms of pain and inflammation.

I have also experienced some good relief when tweaking what I put into my body and how often. We are all different in terms of how we respond, but these things can certainly be worth trying.