Thread: NGD X-30
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
KarenB;

I believe that increased production tends to leads to increased flaws which lead to a critical point--upload more staff or lose credibility.
I think that's spot-on. As production grows, the statistical likelihood of something out of spec sneaking out the door increases. Anyone who's followed CF over the years will recognize this phenomenon across multiple makers.

It all comes down to how individual makers deal with those outliers. I don't think any of the popular manufacturers discussed here have anything systemically wrong with their processes. Witness the dozens of happy Emerald and Rainsong (to name but two) owners here.

There's something else interesting going on here too. We've become conditioned to thinking that CF is the answer to all ills in acoustic guitar construction. Sure, it answers lot of the traditional issues around stability of an inherently unstable physical structure, but slight changes in geometry from one sample to another can affect playability to an extraordinary degree.

Over on the wooden side, you'll hear time and time again the need for a pro setup for all sorts of instruments, across the price and quality spectrum. Is it unreasonable for us to expect our CF masterpieces to be perfect out of the box, and able to magically accommodate any playing style - when no-one with half an ounce of experience would expect that from a wooden guitar?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo