View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
FWIW, I think the recommended miking position of aiming down at the soundhole from above the guitar (see James May's demo video) helps to get a somewhat bassier WaveMap.

There are also ways to trick ToneDexter into training a bassier WaveMap. Before finally getting a recommended training mic, I experimented with EQing some extra bass into an SM57 training mic signal. That certainly resulted in a bassier WaveMap.

Another possible trick would be to EQ some bass out of the pickup signal while training, then use the regular pickup signal when performing with TD.
What I have found is that there's a difference between a bass heavy wavemap and a pickup that has sufficient low end. If a wavemap is created with a more bass heavy tone in order to compensate for the TD stripping a bit of the low end, then it becomes problematic live. I just like getting a pickup that has enough low end and then making a wavemap that's quite nice but won't be 100% of my signal/tone. I just bend it in until I am happy.

On a side note, I have been waiting for the Slate ML-2 to hit stores in my area but it has literally been out of stock for eight months (maybe even more as that's when I first checked). I am over that company. I want a better mic though. I am tempted to spring for the Shure SM-81.