View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Paul;

Many of the chord shapes that the fellow is using are found in the first lesson of The Mickey Baker Introduction to Jazz Guitar music book... you might grab a hold of one of those books, if you like the sound of those "jazzy" chord shapes that are in the tutorial...

Truth is, I first got that book in the 70's and I still go back from time to time, just to reacquaint myself with some of the chords in that first lesson! I have found that if I'm using a chord or shape in a current tune I'm playing, it will stay with me easily - conversely, if I learn something "just because" and don't employ it consistently, I'll forget it very quickly.

Pretty sure that Simon did not write this one on the guitar (nor any of the songs on that album!); at that time, he was dealing with issues with his hands and fingers and actually thought he might never play guitar again... this was the first album he wrote on the piano... it was a long time ago, but that's what I recall...

If you are stretching yourself, you're always going to run into aspects of music that will have you stumped... kind of goes with the territory, when you think about it. This is a great tune, though, and certainly worthy of the effort to learn and play it well!

Having a good working understanding of Diatonic Chord Theory would help you remember all the changes... there are a lot of fairly common jazz-type progressions in the song. Getting a handle on Diatonic Chord Theory has been perhaps the MOST useful "musical" thing I've learned/studied... both as a performer and a writer.

Keep going with this one, and let us know how you do!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman