View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 06:57 PM

Yes, there are lots of things highly skilled players (more skilled than I) can do. Excellent chord melody playing is a skill I highly admire and can't do.

Partial chords, double stops, etc are easier for me to accomplish/understand and interpose.

Ditto having "bass notes" like E or A, but your song doesn't work with those open strings, consider retuning: drop D for one common example. Of course, more skilled players can do amazing fretted bass lines while keeping a melody running on higher strings.

If you can play an interesting melody, with good expression and timbre, in good rhythm, you can carry the song along even with single note lines. Harmony is wonderful, but the human musical receptors can be satisfied with only a melody line--even from the time we're a baby and someone sings a lullaby to us.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....