View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I’ve got a ringside seat for this one! It’s been fun and inspiring to watch this Maple guitar coming together. I don’t think I’ve ever known anyone who is more of a Natural at guitar making than Joel. He takes care and precision to the next level. I bet he’d have been a good brain surgeon if fate had led him in that direction.
Today Joel is working on the rosette. Wait till you see that! It’s pretty amazing what he’s coming up with. He’s routing out the channel in the soundboard right now, so the big reveal will probably happen soon. Stay tuned!
So, here's the rosette work. Joel and I had some discussion about what and how to incorporate the rosette in unifying our theme for this build and he suggested a mosaic look or stained glass. I've loved some of the stained glass examples I've seen, especially a huge fan of Jason Kostal, who in my opinion does the best interpretation of these, so I encouraged Joel to power on! As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, Joel is using a stunning collection of woods to make this rosette. I was eager to see what he would turn out. As it turned out, he must have been divinely inspired...the rosette from conception to being inlaid into the guitar was less than a couple days, it seemed. I was blown away with the final product and just couldn't be happier with how this unifies the theme one more notch. It just keeps getting better and better. Here follows the photo journey for this stage:

We're still planning to bind the soundhole, I think Joel told me he's planning to use some more of that flamed Koa. The last update from Joel, he told me he's teaching the soundboard to sing...tuning her vocal c(h)ords. More to come!
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]