View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 06:55 AM

There's lots of decent options out there depending on your budget and how else you may want to use the rig you go with. Here are a few things I've used with some pros and cons listed, as well as rough prices.

Peavey Vypyr VIP2 combo amp $200. Pro: super versatile amp can play bass, electric, or acoustic electric through, onboard models and effects that are useable and looping with optional Sanpera pedal. Con: large size for just practicing

Yamaha THR5 $200. Pro: portable, battery powered, good amp models and onboard effects, onboard tuner is good, excellent recording amp. Con: headphone jack is 1/4"

Zoom G3X $200. Pro: Lots of bells and whistles, portable and can be battery powered, USB capable, XLR direct out, can run up to 6 effects simultaneously, 40 second looper, drum/rhythm accompaniment, amp models, expression pedal. Con: Takes awhile to figure out all it can do, 1/4" headphone jack, varying volume levels in presets.

Behringer Micromon MA400 $25. Pro: mic in, very small footprint, 1/4" and/or 1/8" headphone jack, mono or stereo, independent mic control. Con: requires ac power. It would be nice if battery power was an option. I have run my huge pedal board into this and enjoy using this unit when "plugging in" to an amp is not feasible.

Digitech Trio Band Creator $100. Pro: Bass and drum accompaniment, onboard effects for each genre, excellent practice tool. Con: Requires ac power, volume from headphone jack doesn't seem to get real loud.

There are tons of other options, but these are a few things I use regularly.