View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=sneaky;2710186]The A/Y headstock logo is seen on high end models in the local Rock Inn shop in Sendai, it`s not just for those exports to the US. They have a wall of them and this isn`t a very big city, go to Tokyo or Osaka and you`ll see many more hanging in shops.

I didn't realize the A/Y logo Yairis were sold anywhere other than the US. It was my understanding that they were intended to be distributed by Alvarez only for the US market.
I've heard different stories about the Yairi family and their relationships and, as you say it is difficult to know the truth. The common thread is that they are all master luthiers and they build wonderful instruments.
I also understand that Kazuo has an incredible collection of wood that he has acumulated for many years. Apparently, the wood that goes into the Yairis is never kiln dried and has been air dried for many many years prior to being used for guitar making. The grain and color of the spruce top on my Yairi is gorgeous and when I pull it out of the case people tend to go "wow".
I'll never sell my Yairi because it is a great guitar w/ beautiful warm tone and there are too many good memories associated w/ it to let it go.

1990 Yairi DY-77
2009 Taylor 414ce ltd. Taz Black