View Single Post
Old 05-30-2022, 06:10 AM

I'm late posting here, and my experience is more limited than many of the previous posters, but I once played at a full-weekend folk festival on the tiny Channel Island of Sark, where performers and audience had come from all over Europe and the UK. You can only get there by boat, and there's no cars on the Island, you get around in horse-drawn carriages or on foot and it's very hilly, so people weren't turning up with touring rigs!

They guys doing the sound at the festival weren't messing around, and due to the schedule and the lack of opportunity for soundcheck they wouldn't let many (if any) performers use their onboard pickups, and were clipping DPA 4099s onto just about everyone's instruments. I couldn't persuade them to let me plug in my Sunrise, so I was worried I'd gone there just to flop as I'd never had a good experience playing live into mics with anything other than a resonator guitar.

There were very few sound issues all weekend, and it was plenty loud at times. I will say that it was outdoors on an open stage that had a backdrop and a roof but was otherwise made of scaffold, so there were no reflection issues or room resonances to worry about.

My own set went fine, and I remember wanting to get a DPA4099 afterwards but could never justify the spend to myself.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3