Thread: Awaiting...
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
My observation listening to your clip of the three guitars and your response to it really fired up my curiosity, although it took me a while to get around to testing it.

So I just played both my X20 and prior generation X7 for my wife and asked her if she noticed anything different between the sound of the two. She said that the X20 sounded a bit deeper, but otherwise very similar. I asked specifically about volume and she said they sounded about the same.

Then I did a very quick little sound-clip of my own using a condenser mike and I heard it exactly like she did. The X20 is a deeper / fuller sounding guitar, but the X7 matched it for volume. Which I find kind of amazing because from the player's perspective, that two-way oriented soundhole in the X20 makes it sounds ENORMOUSLY louder than the X7. The X7 sounds really good, but just doesn't seem to project as much. But, in fact, it does, it just doesn't project up at the player in anything like the same way.

I'm kind of amazed that this soundhole design makes THIS MUCH difference. I guess I shouldn't be - that's WHY they designed it that way obviously. But, man, it's vastly effective. Sorry to butt back in and go OT here - this thread is about your X10 and I hope you're loving it. But your clip really freaked me out a little bit and I just had to check it out for myself...

-Ray
Hi Ray,

Not butting in at all. I was surprised by the recording, as well. I have been able to listen to others playing my X7 and X20 (but not the X10 yet), and have found the X20 to be significantly louder and richer... but surprised by how that X7 "keeps up."

For some further explanation on that recording: I did use the Zoom H4n Pro and wonder if the stereo mic setting on that has auto level to make them all sound similar? I set the level with the X20 so it wouldn't clip, expecting that guitar to be the loudest.

And now back to the X10 - I did a couple hours with it this morning, exploring more about how it handles the output from each pickup to appropriate amps... my wife came into the guitar room to listen (and brush Rufus) and commented about how nice it sounds. When I flipped the switch on the guitar to go back and forth between acoustic and electric pickups/amps, the tone difference is impressive. Flip that switch into the middle to get both and ... wow!

I have the saddle piezo dialed in for the acoustic sound I like, and have tried plenty of options on the electric side. I am convinced! The X10 sounds nice acoustically (not plugged in). Plugged in with a single guitar cord, you have plenty of tone shaping. Plugged in with the TRS to a Y cable and then run to two amps is what sets this guitar apart from any other acoustic with a pickup that I've played.