View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Then the "steering" comment ...... If you believe there is a difference, then you will tend to hear it. If you believe there isn't a difference then you tend not to hear a difference . In other words expectation bias swings both ways equally.
I'll repeat " Expectation bias swings both ways"

Then arguably his most important point "If you listen at different times (depending on your focus ) you will hear different things from the same stimuli"
I'll repeat "You will hear different things from the same stimuli "
And it should be noted that if this true / Then this can be a factor (to a much lesser degree perhaps, but still present) even in a blind test.
Just in case someone wants to do objective blind testing, let me point out that there is a technique called double blind ABX which deals with those two issues, and there are free tools to implement double blind ABX.

By double blinding the source expectation bias is removed.

The tools I've used allow looping and selection of starting points, so clips can be compared in detail at different locations, which deals with the focus issue.

http://lacinato.com/cm/software/othersoft/abx

It turns out that doing this carefully (minimum of 16 trials with full attention and concentration, using level matched same source material) is a lot of work but can be quite revealing.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog