View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
The aspect of making your performers feel as welcome as possible is probably going to be more important to the overall success of your open mics than how magnificent the sound is going to be...
Definitely, and I say this as someone whose main (not only) venue at the moment is open mics. Although I'd be mighty pleased to find myself playing through an L1 Compact compared to some other setups I've encountered.

Another reason to do with as few pedals as possible is that they can be very guitar-dependent. And you don't want to give people an excuse for trying to dial things in. There's a guy who runs open mics in the Northern Virginia area (DC region) who is an expert at 1. Keeping things moving and 2. Making *everyone* feel welcome. I did one of his recently and his chain was Guitar>Fishman Platinum Pro>some mixer>QSC K10 or K8, something like that. Sounded fine. (Might not have been a QSC but if not, that type). And of course mic/s through the same chain except for the Fishman.

Just me, but yeah I strongly advise bringing a stool. Lots of Open Mic types normally play only at home, sitting down, and it's a tough adjustment; others strongly prefer standing (me, it's better for singing). Be ready and expert at swooping in and changing the mic height.

Sounds like it'll be a great night, way to go!

Last edited by Chriscom; 12-06-2017 at 07:18 PM.