View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Hi all

I have a State Farm personal articles policy that covers my guitars (1 Taylor, 1 Breedlove, 1 Lowden) and camera and lenses and a computer. I've had this for years now, almost 10, and until this year I didn't file any claims. I filed 2 this year - 1 on a guitar and 1 on my computer - and State Farm started sending me letters that my coverage could change if there was an increase in claim activity. I called them and their rep told me that they could cancel the policy at any time and that they had no obligation to keep it.

I am worried that if a guitar or camera were to get stolen, State Farm might not cover it.

Can anyone recommend more reliable insurance for these items? I take my camera and guitars out and need a policy that won't dick me over if something happens.

Thanks.
I didn't read any of the replies, so please forgive me if I duplicate anyone else's reply...

I have been a State Farm Customer for over 50 years. I had my car insurance with them, uninterrupted since I was 16. That was until last week. I have my musical instruments covered by them... which will change in December. Homeowners... I'm now shopping.

IMO State Farm is no longer the same company it once was. 20 years or so ago my home was storm damaged and State Farm paid out a large claim and my rates only went up a small percentage. But more recently they outright cancelled my daughter's homeowners policy because of two small claims on her condo, rather than just raise the rates. Two years ago I had a small comprehensive car claim that was denied with them claiming a manufacturer's defect (which it wasn't and the cause of the damage was nature related). They were charging me almost $1400/year on my 12 year old car for considerably less coverage than I now get through AARP/The Hartford that reduced my annual car insurance costs by $750 (more than 50%!).

IMO the best coverage you can get for your musical instruments is through Heritage Insurance, which many on this forum use. Unlike State Farm that needs appraisals for items over $600, Heritage only needs appraisals for much more expensive instruments. Their coverage is all-risk and includes professional use, which State Farm does not.

Cameras are a different situation and while Heritage may want to insure them for you, they will most likely be at a different rate. When I had my photography studio I insured my entire studio through The Hartford, including umbrella liability insurance and a camera equipment (including 4 Hasselblad systems) for a very reasonable amount. I had one claim which they paid quickly without any grief or jumping through hoops. Hopefully they have the same standards today.

I'm sorry that this seems like a semi-rant against State Farm, but I have to say I'm disappointed in what I perceive them to have become lately and that I have to leave an insurance company that I've relied on for so many years because I've simply lost faith in them and found better protection elsewhere.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS