View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've only played two or three Boucher guitars, which I think were some of the high end ones darko recommended. Those I encountered at some serious acoustic guitar events, like the Fretboard Summit I attended a couple of years ago. They were being passed around at casual parties after the events of the day, in hotel rooms and whatnot.

So only a brief and superficial introduction, a casual acquaintance at best, not a prolonged courtship or serious examination of mutual compatibility. Never played one for more than a few minutes, never gigged with one.

However, the little I played them, I was impressed. I thought they were nice instruments.

As for the backs of their headstocks - I don't even recall looking at them on those occasions, frankly, but looking at photos of them online tonight they strike me as rather Larrivée-esque. Which is an infectious condition that affects many Canadian-made guitars, similar to the way we're fighting spruce bark beetle infestations in the boreal forests of Southcentral Alaska.

This guitar headstock design happens a lot in Canada.

CANADA

You know, one guy goes to work for Jean Larrivée building guitars, works for Jean for two or three years, then moves back to his Canadian hometown and starts up his own guitar operation. Evidently the spores of this headstock design travel with the sawdust nestling in the cuffs of his work-worn blue jeans, because the next thing you know that headstock design has despoiled yet ANOTHER previously unaffected Canadian city....

If you doubt me on this, look at the back of a Morgan guitar headstock sometime.

Hey, Joe, just giving you a hard time. Whatever your reservations about the visual aesthetics of that headstock design, though, it wasn't startling enough to make me drop my beer when Boucher guitars got passed to me in those late night guitar circles. I never even noticed...

Wade Hampton Miller
As a proud Canadian I take exception to this photo. That Canada Goose is clearly photo shopped in.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28