View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
The bottom number of a time signature indicates how a beat is notated. How a beat is perceived is, perhaps, more subjective. Both Loure and Siciliana are old forms of music. Siciliana is Baroque and Baroque just happens to be my favourite music era. Metallica is not Baroque. This is not 6/8. My perception is 3/4. If you wish I will post current examples of 6/8, 3/4 and 3/2.
IMO, this is perfectly well represented as 6/8, at a bpm of around 48.

I agree with Guitar Slim II, tempo is irrelevant. That might seem counter-intuitive - given that 6/8 is how we notate things like Irish jigs! - but I've seen this point often underlined by theorists more authoritative than me. (Try asking on https://www.reddit.com/r/musictheory/, for example.)

It could be represented as 3/4 (ie one 6/8 bar becoming two 3/4 bars), but the 3's definitely fall into pairs (with the exception of bar 5 in this excerpt). I guess 6/4 would be OK, with a dotted half-note representing the beat, but I see no problem with 6/8. Personally I like the way the beaming helps show the beats. The rhythm would be a little harder to follow in 6/4, while 3/4 would not show the slow 2-beat feel.