View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
No, not at all. I find this very interesting. At 55 y/o, my wife and I also retired fairly young...5 years ago. Perhaps you read a post I made not too long ago, where I had mentioned that for a few years leading up to retirement, we took up sailing, bought a Catalina 22 to eventually work up to buying a Gemini 105 sail cat (my wife isn't overly fond of heeling) to cruise the Caribbean (and perhaps elsewhere as skills improve) each winter. We went to Florida with an idea of buying one, but after a lot of discussion, we decided that full-time winter sailing wasn't for us.

Then we planned to RV/motorcycle. I bought a HD Road King to get my skills back, and planned to tow it behind a smaller RV, a Mercedes sprinter chassis type. After two seasons of riding, again returned to Florida with a plan to buy the RV at which time our $Cdn was at par and as fixed properties were very affordable, again we changed our mind, deciding to fist establish ourselves in the south, so we bought a manufactured home in Fort Myers Beach. This doesn't mean that the RV/bike plan in particular isn't in our future. Quite the contrary and in fact the urge is rising in me again. We'll have our north and south homes as base camps.

Our two married sons and one granddaughter (to date) live within a 1/2 hr.of us (younger son and d-i-l) just bought land and are about to break ground for a new custom home this summer/fall) will be only 7 min. from us. We are all close both socially and geographically, so although we (me in particular) want to travel a lot throughout North America, this closeness it's our kids could likely make being on the road a lot difficult, even with social media.

Anyhow, I read this thread of yours somewhat living vicariously through you in my longing for the open road, and water, and cf guitar playing.

Probably more than you (or other readers) wanted to know. Oh well!
Sailing, motorcycles, and guitars... seems we have much in common. The Gemini 105 is a neat boat - we considered one (had a Corsair trimaran at the time) as a retirement boat, but opted to go for a powercruiser... and enjoyed the cruising life.

You are blessed to have a granddaughter. We have seen more than a few boat cruising and RVing couples who moved back to a sticks and bricks because of the pull of a grandkid. I totally get that!

We did the two-house north/south thing for a number of years, then decided we would be perfectly happy if we never had to deal with snow again. I get itchy feet if I am anywhere more than a couple months. With kids living close by, you could travel for a few weeks/months at a time, and have someone to keep an eye on your house... then come home and get the family fix, 'till you're ready to roll again.

Truth be told, I would be happy with no house, but the Blonde likes to have "a base." OK, thinking about that, I wouldn't have room for a selection of guitars... scratch that idea!

Yeah, it comes back to the guitars.