View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiberna View Post
I've tried various configurations but couldn't seem to get a viable recording setup with this. The H4n only lets me use the stereo mics or input 1 or input 2 at one time. So I can't have two signals simultaneously it seems.

I tried plugging a TRS cable into the line-out port of the H4n and then into my 2i2. It kind of worked, except I needed an adapter from 1/4" to 3.2mm (which I had) but the signal kept cutting out. Also it only seemed to work on the left channel, the right side had no sound. I tried using a stereo cable and a mono cable.

The reason I want to use the 2i2 and H4n is because I just want to use the H4n as a mic, which I can then plug into my 2i2 (along with my guitar in the other input) and then into my DAW. Then I will have two separate signals than I can blend/mix together for a stereo experience.

Any other ideas?
I believe the line out on your H4n is a stereo signal (so it should be configurable so that your 2 mic signals are sent to that connector. Since you are trying to connect it to a single input on your 2i2 you are going to have to get these 2 mic signals combined into one signal to input to your 2i2. I believe your H4n might have a feature to combine them into a mono output signal; if not you could combine them with a special cable/connector.

Your H4n TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connector would have one mic signal going to tip, one mic signal going to ring, and the sleeve is the common for the signals. If you are going to combine them via a cable/connector, the tip and ring need to be connected together to which will give you a mono signal from the 2 mics.

On your 2i2, use of a TRS connector would be for a balanced line level input. The signal input would be between Tip and Ring. Use of a TS connector would be for an unbalanced line level input. The signal input would between Tip and Sleeve.

It's confusing, because the H4n TRS connector is used for 2 separate signals whereas the 2i2 TRS (or TS) connector is used for a single signal.

Sorry if I've made this confusing. It's difficult to explain since I don't have the same model Zoom or Scarlett that you have, and it's hard to put 'physical connections' into words.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi