View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
The Zoom H4n IS already a USB audio interface so you can record direct to DAW software on your computer. You can already plug your guitar into the H4n AND use the stereo mic to record 3 tracks to a DAW. Pardon me for asking but why on earth would you want to plug it into another audio interface?

Phil
I agree with you in that the 2i2 would not have to be used. I'm not sure why the OP wants to use both the H4n and the 2i2.

By using both, he could setup the H4n for using the mics and attach it a stand. The 2i2 could be located close to allow easier reach to adjust levels and headphone volume. Also, the 2i2 may have lower noise preamps compared to the H4n which may or may not be noticed in the final recordings.

In either configuration I believe he will be limited to 2 channel recording if he's using a DAW. If he uses the H4n as an interface to his DAW I believe the H4n USB is limited to 2 channels (even though the H4n can have up to 4 inputs). If he uses the 2i2 as an interface to his DAW, the 2i2 has only 2 inputs and its USB output is limited to 2 channels (the 2 H4n mic channels will have to combined to mono when connected to a 2i2 input).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 06-06-2014 at 01:58 PM.