View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 PM

First of all, thanks everyone for all the helpful responses. Sorry its taken me a few days to get back. I'm about to post some new/better pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
here's what I was able to dig up:

"8708 Old Kraftsman Arch-top Guitar – 1937

Similar to Recording King M-5
Body size 16 ¼” x 20 ¼” by 4 ½” deep
Curly maple back & sides, Carved spruce top
RW fingerboard with large “diamond” MOP inlays
RW adjustable bridge w/ MOP “diamond” inlays on sides
5-ply maple 14-fret neck
“Pointed dome” peghead shape with engraved MOP crown & RK logo with large diamond
“Checkered” or multi-ply binding top, single bound back, fingerboard & elevated pickguard
Hinged nickel tailpiece & individual Grover tuners"

source:
http://www.fox-guitars.com/Gibson-Made_Brands.html

I'm not saying that this is your guitar but it would appear to have some common features and it's the only mention I could find regarding the checkered binding. What bugs me is that the f holes are broken up similar to Kay's Sherwood Deluxe....

does your guitar have these dimensions?
are there any numbers inside at all? directly under the f holes?
can you get some better pix?

anyway, it sure is an odd one. time for antiques roadshow?

good luck
Thanks for the link, I looked through and yeah the 8708 is the closest to my guitar. I know the Grover tuners are on it b/c they were a bit of a surprise for the guy who cleaned it up and restrung it for me. However, I measured the guitar, its 15.5" wide x 20" tall x 4.125" deep. A couple of more differences:
-The bridge does not have MOP inlays
-fingerboard 17 3/4" long
-no markings inside the f holes

I thought that the 8708 was it because I can tell that the last letter on the body is a "G" just like the picture. I'm hesitant to peel of the stickers to look at the other two letters, though. I've emailed Fox Guitars, no definite answer yet, but they don't think its a Gibson because they don't usually do inlays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageparlors View Post
Lauren
Hats off to your research team. That's what makes this forum #1 on the planet.

While we're on the subject.........I was wondering whether I might use them when you're done, you know...if I get stuck on identifying pedigree on a vintage flat top at some point?
Of course I can share This is a great group of folks. Glad I stumbled on this site.