View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I don't have any experience with the Doyle Dykes Multiac, but I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of the instrument's amplified sound.

I'm specifically wondering how well the Lyric mic will blend with the LB6, considering that the LB6's transducer elements for the 'b' string and the high 'e' string are wired to be 180 degrees out of phase with the other four elements.

I do have some experience with the Baggs Lyric, and have found that it can sound very good under certain circumstances. I'm just wondering how well it will blend with an LB6. In theory, at least, it seems like there could be problems. Albeit, the Doyle Dykes demo sounds great (as you've observed).
The LB6 historically blends well with mics and Baggs has told me that it actually blends pretty well with most second sources and that you'd have to really focus to hear any phase issues on the G & B strings. Of course, YMMV but I use the LB6 in a Baggs Dual Source and phase isn't an issue on the treble strings. Of course, I test the phase between the mic and LB6 in every live setting but nothing specific to the elements. I also blended it with a PUTW #54 and didn't have any phase problems. Phil Keaggy also uses a LB6 Dual Source (actually Micro Duet II) and David Wilcox, Eric Johnson, and James Nash have mixed it w/mics with great outcomes.

I think the issue I've heard of phase relationships being an issue w/the LB6 is when a player uses MULTIPLE sources and phase becomes a bit of an issue regardless but more so with the LB6. Dave Wilcox was using the LB6 for its bass response in his Olsons, along with a Sunrise, McIntyre Feather, and Joe Mills mic and landed up replacing the LB6 with a RMC pickup, again, due to phase issues. Phil Keaggy used a LB6 and a Fender internal mic mixed with a Sunrise and landed up removing the Sunrise as he was getting phasing issues mixing the three. He now just uses an old Micro Duet II Classic (Barn Door preamp that mixes LB6 and internal condensor mic) in his main Olson and Charis guitars.

I also remember Doug Young saying he once asked Baggs why they didn't try the LB6 in the Anthem (bc the Element kinda sucks on its own) and they said that it wasn't compatible in a crossover circuit format because of the mixed phase elements. I don't think mixing it with the Lyric in a standard stereo or mono setup is normally an issue, nor would Baggs install it as a standard system if it were.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic