View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Reviving a dead thread for a couple of updates...

First up, bordering crossing was way easier than expected or even hoped for. I was not asked anything about wood species in either direction. Basically no interest was shown in the guitars by any border official. The Canadians had a lot of aggressive questions, but generally they revolved around whether I was just driving into Canada to set up in a park somewhere trying to sell things.

Second, I dont know if anyone on here saw me at the Vancouver Guitar Festival, but if you did you may have noticed that these two rosettes were absent. The oval sound hole guitar was something of an experiment in finishing and proved to be a real pain so after the first lacquer session I decided to scrape it all back and change my strategy. I'll be french polishing the body aiming for a vintage mandolin, piano black finish on the back with some bout fades, maybe a similar burst on the top as well? I'm hoping to be posting on the forum with some process shots in the coming weeks.

The Spanish cedar rosette belongs to a guitar that made it all the way to Canada with me, but the bridge lifted under one wing during transit and it spent the show in a case. I had been working up to the last moment before Vancouver so perhaps the fresh cure and the road trip were too much. I'll be pulling the bridge off this week I hope and redoing it, but in the meantime I thought I would put up a couple updated pictures of those two. You can see two of the guitars I did have on display in Vancouver in the Guitars in Stock sticky...