View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
I've been doing John Prine covers since his first album came out and have been told by couple hard core JP fans that my version of Hello In There is as good as anybody's. But my MOST memorable song lasted all of two lines...
In the early 80's four long hair guys drifted in while I was playing my Friday night gig at the old Sunset Folk Club in Hamilton. After the crowd left around 10, they hung around and said they were in a band that was playing a weekend gig at the Elbow Beach Hotel and another one at the Naval Base for the USO. After the crowd left, we had an unplugged solo jam going. Very nice bunch , knew lots of early American Rock and R&B stuff. I called my girlfriend and asked her to drive to the club to join us and meet/listen to these guys. When my guitar came round to me again (and mind you, I didn' t have a radio in my car so I had no idea of what was on the air at the time) I had recently heard a brand new song and had caught only the first line. So I played all I knew of it: "When I was a younger man and hadn't a care.... and said that's all I know... " And they all looked at me - including my girlfriend - like I was an idiot.... Peter (whom I later found out was Peter Haycock) took my guitar back and the Climax Blues Band sang it for us - unplugged - better than I'd heard it on the radio, DUH...
THAT'S a great story!!!