View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Thanks, KevWind for the thoughtful response. It is a Personus USB 96. And I did mean to say micing the guitar (not directly plugging guitar into the interface); I placed the mic app 18 " around the last few (high) frets. When I tried a different song by placing that mic in front of the amp (a small VOX), it seemed to my ear deeper/fuller. Used a minimum of efx (slight reverb/chorus). I guess I need to take more time to experiment. Again, I thank you for taking the time!
Larry K.
It's a lot easier to mic an amp than it is to mic an acoustic guitar.

Recording acoustic in mono comes down to mic placement and distance. You have to find the sweet spot at which to point the mic and that can be pretty much anywhere on the body or the neck depending upon the sound you're after. Some places will be too muddy, others too thin.

Recording in stereo adds another wrinkle: technique. There are a number of recording techniques (X/Y, spaced pair, mid-side, etc.) from which to choose. During a performance, a mic and the amp are stationary. Neither will move around and get out of position once you set them in place. An acoustic guitar doesn't remain so still because the player is in constant motion. You'll often have to deal with phase issues to get a fuller sound.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube