View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 06:39 PM

Default Locking Down Inlays

Thanks everyone who weighed in on the backstrip/no backstrip debate. Here is where we ended up.

We settled on the rosette with the concentric koa and walnut rings that evoke sliding Shoji screens, with maple accents, all outlined in black. Based on that I drew some sketches of a back inlay and end graft that reflect the same theme.

For those who are familiar, these bear a passing familiarity to Michael's more organic art nouveau/belle epoque treatments, but with a simpler, more squared and geometric look. The geometric aesthetic also keys off Michael's new "squared off" bridge design (though we will need to work together on something that works for a fan fret).

Rosette-End Graft-Back Inlay Designs.jpg

The designs do not indicate the colors, but generally speaking, the thin strips are either koa or walnut, and the larger strips are ebony or maple. Conveniently, Michael made these CAD drawings to scale so that I can cut them out and visualize them on my other Bashkin guitars.

Michael also showed me the koa, walnut and maple he has picked out and laid them on the Swiss Moon Spruce top so I can visualize the color harmony.

I expressed some concern about whether the maple will "show up" on the spruce top (not an issue when set against the finished rosewood back and sides) but Michael thinks with the black outlining they will do just fine and overall the look is consistent with the "lighter" visual projected by Jimmi's headstock work.

Rosette Woods.jpg

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)