View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Fretofile,
I didn't realize that the eq you're using was $250 or less. Thanks for the info, Maybe I'll try it.

Tadol,
I love to amuse myself with amp modelers but I've never actually used one on the job. I'm looking for a much more subtle kind of sound shaping than that (though I'd love to hear a Schertler chorus setting). I've also been using a Gens Benz Compak 300 8" and it has a very interesting sound. Though it's more of an electric amp in general presentation, as compared to the natural sound of the Schertler, it has much more of the control I'm looking for. As I move from location to location, the bass response especially can become problematic. Certain songs need a more forward guitar sound and when I do that I get low end feedback fairly often. The mids also get touchy because my guitars pickup combo (Fishman undersaddle with a Quackbuster) is mid forward always and needs these dialed down. Sometimes surgically.

The Genz Benz has a pretty terrible reverb section but it can dialed to soaking so, at least with the one hall setting, it is far more useful than the Schertler there too.

I only have a few amps left to try and I'll see if there's anything that suits me better than a Loudbox Artist. Though the Schertler has a more neutral and organic sound, I'm beginning to think that the Loudbox Artist is all I need. Trouble with that is that that's an amp I don't own.

I have been playing a loudbox 100 but it's being repaired now.
I own the last generation Loudbox (the largest model which many people feel is superior to the new models), and I can tell you it's a toy next to my Schertler Jam 400.

The Schertlers take front end sound modification perfectly, and they are total professional tools. I have two Mackie HD1221 speakers and a Allen and Heath ZED mixer in my car along with the Jam 400, that rig barely gets taken out of the car as the Schertler gets the job done for unbelievable variety of gigs! Since 2013 mine has easily over 4 hundred gigs on it. They made a few compromises to get them into a price point and those are 3 band non parametric EQ, and kind of weak FX, but the Doubling Delay patch 1, and the HALL reverb patch 7 are fairly good. My solution was an acoustic pedal board with parametric EQ, and every effect I need for guitars. I am not a typical acoustic guitarist, I go from totally clean fingerpicking to wild dirty overdrive with trem, delay, and reverb. As for vocals and anything requiring a microphone, I haven't any problem with the microphone channels and my Shure Beta 87 microphones (one on voice, and one in front of my guitar) seem to line up well with the limited three band EQ and the HALL reverb works great for that application. If your Schertler doesn't have enough tone shaping, just add what you need (I recommend the Empress Para EQ, for pedal board use, or the Dtar Equinox for anything else), and it will slay anything remotely in it's price range.

And some the new models (JAM 200) are adding parametric EQ and inserts!!!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 07-02-2016 at 01:18 AM.