Thread: New (to me) 714
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike A.:
<STRONG>Throw some ebony buttons on those Grovers and the whole thing just balances out tonally where the WHOLE guitar resonates beautifully. Subtle beauty, no-frills inlays, awesome rosewood binding that's a perfect match for the back and sides, and resonance for days. What more can be said? Definitely the lesser known, secretly best sounding Taylor out there, IMHO. I love mine.....

I also do a lot of open tunings and actually, both of my Taylors(a 414ce and the 714ce) LOVE the DADGAD tuning. But the sustain on that 714 lasts longer than a good stick of gum it seems!

Mike</STRONG>
I was actually already planning to put some ebony buttons on the tuners. I did this on a Larrivee Parlour guitar in order to make it balance better and was rewarded with a changed tone.

I think I'll get two sets of buttons and put them on the 714 and the 512. An added bonus in doing the swap is that it makes tuning a real pleasure . . . very organic, not cold.

A caution in doing the swap is not to over-tighten the ebony, as it will split. I've never had this happen, but have heard of it happening.

If anyone has any good sources for tunes in DADGAD (I consider my self to be an "advanced" guitarist), I would love to hear them.

Bryan