View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 10:56 PM

I been playing since 69’ owned a slew of old flattops & Mandolins over years and a few Arch-tops along the way. Had few electric A-Tops-but My first serious Acoustic one was a 31 L-5 I lucked upon back in 1990’ in small shop. Needed a bridge. I wasn’t too much into them at the time but I made a solid Ebony Bridge for it. Didn’t keep it very long but It was amazing-but didn’t realize really how amazing. Sold it to D.Grisman in 1991’ for decent profit. Was raising kids and such so sold lot guitars I should if kept. Month or so later I strolled into Schoenberg’s shop. He had 3 early 16” L-5’s None sounded close to one I sold. It was then I realized I let go a special guitar. Well that L-5 was one that all the years later I always harkened back to that tone. Over years I started playing little Jazz/more jump blues and other stuff. I’m a luthier’ So I acquired couple old EPI’s in last 7 years on the cheap- because they needed just little love. A 53’ Zenith/42’ Ritz and a 48’ Broadway. -The Broadways not quite what the 31’ L-5 was but actually pretty darn close. Bottom line— not selling my A-top this time. I enjoy the Variation of musical challenge tinkering with Jazz and Django stuff. An old CO-worker friend has been playing a Eastman Acoustic AT for 20 years in his 3 piece old Cowboy music Group. They play trail rides/wineries and events. So Arch-Tops can fit the Bill for more than just Jazz